When preparing food hygiene is imperative. It is important to keep the area clean when cooking for a few people, but when the kitchen caters to a large group, it becomes vital. It is why the F&B industry, food manufacturers, and packages in all countries of the world have to get certification from different authorities. For example, in India, a restaurant that has an FSSAI license proves to the customers that their food is of superb quality and made with the highest standards.
In America, the FDA grants certificates and licenses to eateries, food packages, and manufacturers. They set standards, rules, and regulation that have to be followed by businesses before selling their product to the end consumer. Similarly, the Singapore Food Agency ensures safe food for all in the country. Even its logo is made with food in mind. The leaf and fish entwine to show the partnership between SFA and various entities in the food sector.
Unlike the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and FDA, which were founded a considerable time back, Singapore’s food statutory board was established this year – 2019. SFA works under MEWR and performs the same function as those of former:
• Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore
• National Environment Agency
• Health Sciences Authority
They aim to achieve food security and safety from farm to fork all over the country. SFA is encouraging the industry to enhance three food baskets:
• Diversify import sources
• Grow local
• Grow overseas
Moreover, to strengthen food businesses, it is tapping in the power of technology and investing in research that will help develop new business ventures in food. There are many online players like Vakilsearch in India, who can assist in online registration of food license with quick and easy formalities.
Like SFA, FSSAI, and FDA, every country of the world has an equivalent food safety authority. The question is, why are they needed? When they are absent, there are no protocols in place to keep food preparation hygienic. And when hygiene is not maintained, serious health consequences can occur.
What Happens When Food Hygiene Is Not Maintained?
• When workers forget to wash their hands, tools, and equipment, diseases spread. Without the presence of food safety authorities, many restaurants will not be aware of such little things which can cause severe damage. For example, when a worker handles a slice of infected meat and then starts chopping vegetables, it can lead to cross-contamination and spread more severe ailments.
• Food poisoning can happen, especially if raw food comes in touch with other food items. Hands, tools like knives and clothes all can transfer bacteria from one place to another. The only way to prevent it is to keep the prep areas and utensils for raw and cooked food completely separate!
• Refrigerators which are not cleaned regularly or maintained adequately can become breeding grounds for harmful things. So that even when pure food items are stored in it, they get contaminated too. Therefore, it is vital to check them periodically to ensure they run at the correct temperature and are hygienic!
While each nation has its food safety standards, all of them work towards a singular aim – to standardise quality and keep consumers safe!